Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Whole Foods arrives in Oakland!

Last weekend, I went to the new Whole Foods at the corner of 27th and Harrison in Oakland. What a gigantic, sprawling, megawarehouse of foodstuffs. I was mesmorized from the moment i walked in. I went there to buy a few chickens and ended up spending 90 minutes looking around. The meat & poultry section was fairly complete and the service was good. They've got a separate seafood counter and also a charcuterie, which apparently needs some fine-tuning. I was trying to get some prosciutto. There was no number system and the service staff was slow and confused. After waiting about 10 minutes, i moved and just got some ham in the packaged frozen meat section. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out though. The wine section seemed fairly comprehensive. I saw some big reds (like a few cru bourgeois Bordeaux reds, barolos, shiraz), medium bodied reds (some rhone blends, a bunch of chiantis, a few brunellos, and a bunch of pinots), and a good mix of whites (california chardonnays, burgundy whites, loire whites such as vouvray, sancerre, puilliy-fume, pinot gris, etc.). I didn't see any chateauneuf du pape though, which was actually what i wanted to get.

No comments: